Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Paleo Almond Meatballs


So, we are sick. (Thanks, bro!) I had forgotten how awful it was – your whole body aches, your head is spinning, your throat is sore and your nose is red and running – you get the whole picture! Things got even worse after a short trip to IKEA and their meatballs – a couple of hours later I thought I was going to die (or, OK, at least throw up).
So I decided to make proper meatballs, not some made-in-Sweden-imported-frozen-in-Bulgaria shit. And since I’m trying to eat paleo (only real food, no junk, no grains, no dairy, no legumes) for at least half of the week (yes, I’m weak and pathetic and I love cupcakes and alcohol, I know!), I decided to make these paleo almond meatballs and see if they work wonders with my flu.

Paleo Almond Meatballs

You need:
600 gr minced veal
1 egg
1 cup (100 gr) raw almonds
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
1 ½ tsp salt
Herbs: thyme, mint, curry, mixed pepper, oregano, rosemary, cumin (1/2 tsp each or use fresh ones if available. I used fresh thyme and rosemary – just a couple of sprigs each)

You do:
1. Put the almonds, onion, garlic and herbs in your food processor or chopper and blend until finely ground.

2. In a bowl, combine mince, egg, salt and almond mixture. Mix with your hands until well combined.

3. Roll small meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.

4. Bake at 180 C for 20 minutes or until cooked through.

If you want to spice things up, you could add a couple of finely cut pepperoncini to the mince. I used one for half of the mixture.

Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment